Friday, February 8, 2013

Cooking Chickens


If you've been reading me for a while you know that I'm obsessed with eating soup in the winter. I'm in soup mode now and have my cooking itch back now that the Christmas season is over and things are settled with the re-branding of Raw Generation.

I made a really great soup a few days ago from one of the chickens I picked up from the farm I get my meat from. I was shocked at how much soup I got from 1 chicken. I made 2 different stocks which I'll describe below. Both were super easy, but do take some time.

Broth #1:

  • 1 chicken, whole
  • 1 onion
  • 1 apple
  • 1 container organic vegetable broth
  • water
  • salt, pepper, thyme, marjoram, rosemary, coriander, cloves (just a touch), bay leaves, garlic powder
  • olive oil
  • celery
  • 4 sml. red potatoes
  • carrots
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Put whole chicken in lg. baking pan/ casserole dish breast side down. Pour in vegetable broth and fill pan to cover half of chicken with water.
  3. Add quartered apple, chopped onion, spices, and drizzle chicken with olive oil.
  4. Bake for 1.5 hours
  5. Let chicken cool, take out of broth, and cup up breast meat. 
  6. Add meat back in to broth with chopped carrots, celery, & potatoes (chop small).
  7. Simmer on stove for 10 minutes at medium high heat.
  8. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Broth #2
  • Chicken from Broth #1
  • 1 onion
  • water
  • salt, pepper, thyme, marjoram, rosemary, coriander, cloves (just a touch), bay leaves, garlic powder
  • celery
  • carrots
  1. Pull chicken from broth #1 apart into pieces and put in lg. pot on stove.
  2. Add in onion and spices.
  3. Fill pot with water and boil for 10 minutes. Turn heat down to simmer for 45 minutes.
  4. Let cool and strain broth into another lg. pot, catching chicken pieces into a strainer.
  5. Pull meat off of chicken pieces and put into broth.
  6. Add in chopped carrots & celery and simmer on stove to 15 minutes.

Both ways make good chicken soup, but they are a little different. Broth #1 has a stronger flavor and Broth #2 is more like traditional chicken soup. This one chicken made a little over a gallon and a half of soup! I put some in the refrigerator and most in the freezer. Definitely a great way to stock up! 

Hope everyone in the NE stays warm and safe during the snow storm!!! Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...